14 January 2012

Software and the OS

Those who are non-techs often ask me about computer software and hardware. They wish to know what to buy and what is crap. This post is a list and discussion of what I have at this time. I will update in the future.

Software:

I use two free programs to read books and articles. STDU Viewer and FBReader between them they cover almost anything I might want to read. Formats include: (fb2, cbr, cbz, tcr, pdb, mobi, azw, dcx, bmp, pcx, jpeg, gif, PNemfG, wmf, psd, tiff, pdf, DjVu, xps, JBIG2, wwf, epub, rtf).

GIMP

office software
I use the free and open source LibreOffice.



For the price of Adobe Acrobat and depending on which version I purchased, I could buy two or three 1 terabyte harddrives.

I almost exclusively use the Linux operating system. I currently have a version of Linux called LinuxMint installed.I use It


Security:
. Last year, the American Air Force had a virus infect the UAV flight system computers at Creech Air Force Base, Nevada. The Air Force was lucky the virus was fairly harmless and was delt with presently.

No comments:

Post a Comment